Friday, July 23, 2010

The Lunatic Rings the Bell

I reached the top about half an hour after dawn at 5:00 AM on July 20, 1991. It was raining, cold, and crowded. This is a photo of me ringing the bell at the top. You can't see anything? Well, neither could I. I was dehydrated and exhausted, my muscles shaking, and the rain was nearly snow. This was not "one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind," but the barren volcanic surface of Fuji was like the moon, and the experience was decidedly lunatic.

3 comments:

Reckless said...

One memory of that morning for me was realizing that when I extended my arm an arm's length, my hand was no longer visible. Ah, the ironies of Japan. I climb all the way to the top of Mt. Fuji for a view of all of Japan at dawn, and I can't even see my own hand. And yet, climbing that mountain in the dark with my friends and my wonderful wife is still one of my best memories of our eight years in Japan.

SapphireSavvy said...

That looks gorgeous, though. I mean, maybe you wished to see Japan from on high, but...how many people can say they were on Fuji in a thick fog? I think it's beautiful. It must've seemed quite magical. As you imagined it would be, or not, it's a moment to be remembered forever.

jenny milchman said...

Way to go--what a thing to summit! I am way impressed...