Sunday, July 11, 2010

Traditional Beer


I decided to climb Mt. Fuji the traditional Japanese way. That meant starting by rounding up friends and getting drunk. I imported my good friends from Okinawa, Eric Shaffer (L) and Veronica Winegarner (far R). They are married but that posed no problem for the adventure. I'm in the middle to the left of my friend and colleague Shigeko. We're at a beer garden on the roof of a downtown Shizuoka hotel. A typical miserably humid overcast day that I describe often in American Fuji.

4 comments:

wac said...

I hadn't realized that getting drunk was the traditional first step in climbing Mt. Fuji. Perhaps a similar strategy will help you achieve your aggressive blogging goal!

Reckless said...

Getting drunk is a traditional first step in much that happens in Japan. I believe I read somewhere that the per capita consumption of beer in Japan is the highest in the world. Beer goes magnificently well with nearly all of the food in Japan, too, so such tipping of the brew makes sense.

SapphireSavvy said...

I can't imagine drinking before making that climb!

Sara Backer said...

Actually, this drinking was done the day before we hiked, to cement our resolve. But I was surprised that beer was sold from vending machines at the stations on the mountain itself.